Local Elections in Caroline County-November 5, 2019
This is an important time to have confidence in your elected officials. In January of 2019, I will have completed my 11th year as a member of the Caroline County Board of Supervisors. Throughout my tenure, I have remained deeply committed to you, my constituents. I believe my greatest accomplishments have been working to make fiscal responsibility the number one priority in relation to our county budget. Other issues I have addressed include the lack of transparency in Caroline Government, which is now a thing of the past, and creating an open line of communication with the people of our county.
My Town Hall meetings have been attended by hundreds of citizens who have a better understanding of the issues and the importance of attending local government meetings. When I first campaigned for the seat in 2007, I made a promise to carefully listen and have a REAL open door policy for those who elected me. I still adhere to my turn around rule of twenty four hours on inquiries made via phone call and e-mails. I have also maintained a continuing presence in our public school system in order to best support our school board, teachers, parents, and students.
I have worked diligently to retain and attract good industries to Caroline which enhance our tax base, industries which make sense for both the owner and the tax payer. In the last several years, the county has experienced the opening of numerous new businesses, as well as the expansion of others. Income from business is what helps keep local taxes in check. I am humbled by the testimonies sent to me by business owners below.
I have voted consistently against superfluous expenditures and tax increases. The county now has a balanced budget which no longer includes borrowing money for operations, and we maintain a healthy fund balance throughout the year to support citizen services.
In this, my third term hard work and perseverance has paid off and in the summer of 2018 the county was able to obtain it’s very first AA bond rating, an important fiscal tool. Together we have come a long way, but there is still much to be done. I believe I have a winning formula…….to continue to work hard and vote smart. It is an honor to serve you.
- Business-Supporting intelligent, common sense growth polices that advocate the attraction of smart, compatible, new business in Caroline, while supporting the retention and expansion of those already located here. Business is the engine which provides major funding for county services and keeps taxes low.
- Budget-Continue careful and sensible management of the county budget. Since my tenure the overall fiscal picture of the county has stabilized, and we have again completed the year with a surplus resulting in our very first AA bond rating, an important tool in monetary management.
- Education-Having served 8 years on the school board, I understand well the team effort required between the Supervisors and the School Board. The supportive presence of the Board of Supervisors in our schools is also one of the most important aspects of my job. Some of the programs I attend annually include JROTC events, Farm to Table Week, School Lunch Week in the Elementary School, Legislator’s Day and many more. This year marks my 20th year of attending Caroline High School’s graduation.
- Services-Continue to support the growth of our Fire and Rescue and Emergency Services and other programs which impact the day to day lives of our citizens.
- Transparency-Continue to engage people in the process of governance. Effective government starts with informed citizens.
- Connecting Beyond Caroline-As promised, I will continue to provide an ongoing dialog with our elected officials in Richmond and Washington, with the belief that Caroline is not an island, acknowledging that decisions made there affect the lives of residents in this county.
We hope you will consider jeffsili.org as a valuable Citizen Resource, not only for issues happening now in Caroline County, Virginia, but as a history of our past challenges, as well as a photographic archive of our amazing county. Contact me at email@example.com or 804.633.9084.