This is an important time to have confidence in your elected officials. In January of 2022, I will have completed my 14th year as a member of the Caroline County Board of Supervisors. Throughout my tenure, I have remained deeply committed to you, my constituents. I believe my greatest accomplishments have been working to make fiscal responsibility the number one priority in relation to our county budget. Other issues I have addressed include the lack of transparency in Caroline Government, which is now a thing of the past. My goal was to create an open line of communication with the people of our county.
My Town Hall meetings have been attended by hundreds of citizens who have a better understanding of the issues and the importance of attending local government meetings. When I first campaigned for the seat in 2007, I made a promise to carefully listen and have a REAL open-door policy for those who elected me. I still adhere to my turn around rule of twenty-four hours on inquiries made via phone call and e-mails. I have also maintained a continuing presence in our public school system in order to best support our school board, teachers, parents, and students.
I have worked diligently to retain and attract good industries to Caroline which enhance our tax base, industries which make sense for both the owner and the tax payer. In the last several years, the county has experienced the opening of numerous new businesses, as well as the expansion of others. Income from business is what helps keep local taxes in check. I am humbled by the testimonies sent to me by business owners below.
I have voted consistently against superfluous expenditures and tax increases. The county now has a balanced budget which no longer includes borrowing money for operations, and we maintain a healthy fund balance throughout the year to support citizen services. In my third term hard work and perseverance paid off and in the summer of 2018 the county was able to obtain it’s very first AA bond rating, an important fiscal tool. Together we have come a long way, but there is still much to be done.
In late 2021, the Caroline Broadband Committee, an initiative I have served with for several years, announced the successful completion of a plan for the entire county to be connected to broadband. This has been a dream full filled to support efforts for internet capability to the most rural areas of Caroline. The press release can be found here. In addition, in 2021 I was able to successfully implement a plan to give raises to our law enforcement and first responders which is crucial to attract and retain the people who keep us safe.
I believe I have a winning formula…….to continue to work hard and vote smart. It is an honor to serve you.
- Business Supporting intelligent, common-sense growth policies that advocate the attraction of smart, compatible, new business in Caroline, while supporting the retention and expansion of those already located here. Business is the engine which provides major funding for county services and keeps taxes low.
- Budget Continue careful and sensible management of the county budget. Since my tenure the overall fiscal picture of the county has stabilized with operations in the black, resulting in our very first AA bond rating, an important tool in monetary management.
- Services Continue to support the growth and proper funding of our Fire and Rescue and Emergency Services, Sheriff’s Office and other services which impact the safety and day to day lives of our citizens. Continue the work of the broadband initiative to bring connectivity to every business and household in Caroline.
- Schools Drawing on lessons learned while on the school board, to continue to maintain an active presence in our schools attending and supporting JROTC events, Farm to Table Week, School Lunch Week, Legislator’s Day, the football program and Graduation.
- Transparency Continue to engage people in the process of governance. As promised, I hold constituent meetings throughout the year which focus on the county and the importance of understanding “local” government. Effective government starts with informed citizens.
- Connecting Beyond Caroline I will continue to provide an ongoing dialog with our elected officials in Richmond and Washington, with the belief that Caroline is not an island, acknowledging that decisions made there affect the lives of residents in this county.
We hope you will consider jeffsili.org as a valuable Citizen Resource, not only for issues happening now in Caroline County, Virginia, but as a history of our past challenges, as well as a photographic archive of our amazing county. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.633.9084.